When to Call a Doctor about OCD

When to Call a Doctor about OCD

Dec 02, 2013
Comments Off on When to Call a Doctor about OCD

Image courtesy of artur84/freedigitalphotos.net

Obsessive-compulsive disorder is a type of mental illness that causes a person to have repeated unwanted thoughts. In order to get rid of the thoughts, the person will do the same tasks over and over. If you suspect that you have obsessive-compulsive disorder, it is important to seek treatment right away. Treatment will improve your quality of life, as well as the lives of your loved ones. Getting early treatment of OCD can help to reduce your symptoms and reduce the disruption the illness can create in your life. While there are many health professionals that can help to treat or monitor OCD, you may want to see a health professional who has had specific training in OCD management. Health professionals who can diagnose, treat, or monitor the progress of OCD include:

  • Family Medicine Doctor
  • Psychiatrist
  • Internist
  • Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner

Other health professions who are able to provide ongoing counseling and support of OCD but can’t prescribe medicines include:

  • Psychologist
  • Licensed Mental Health Counselor
  • Social Worker

It is very important to reach out to your doctor is you think you have OCD. They will be able to help you set treatment plans in motion and help you to reduce your symptoms and improve your quality of life.


Resource: http://www.everydayhealth.com/health-center/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd-when-to-call-a-doctor.aspx

Comments are closed.